Tuesday, February 14, 2012

You should start a business!

My Dad has been saying that to me for years.  Well that and that I should write a book.     I have decided to take on the first one, so one step at a time, Pop!

I am making jewelry now, working with wire, beads, etc.  Going to try my hand at chain maille jewelry here pretty soon.  I was having a blast when I started making the pieces (still am) but then someone suggested that I sell them (thanks Michelle!).  I got so excited about the idea because that would be a great way to bring in income and still let me have my time to take care of the family and work around the boys school schedule.  Sick days alone would be great for me!  Them home watching TV or napping would allow me to make tons of stuff while I looked after them.

I talked to Bob about the possibility of starting my own business and he was supportive but suggested that I work at it a little longer and see what the demand would be.  So far I have had great feed back on my pieces and today I sold my very first set!!!  HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO ME!!!  Thank you, MO!!!


I LOVE this piece and it took me a couple days before I convinced myself that I could part with it and sell.  Pretty silly of me considering I could just make another one for myself.  This is an 18" gunmetal double infinity link with dyed pink jade.

Since I tend to have a problem with "MINE!" and "SQUIRREL!", I decided that I needed to lay down some rules.  1)  I promise to make something new and different everyday for the first few weeks.  Originally, I was only wanting to make things that I would want to keep but that isn't practical or business smart.  So instead I am going to make pieces that I like, that intrigue me, that require a skill I need to learn or one that seems challenging.  I am not a big hearts gal and really not a Valentine groupie (except when it comes to my menfolk) but yesterday I made this.  I think this turned out great!  My poor fingers are raw and beat up but it was well worth it.  This is an 18" chain of hearts made out of antique brass wire.

So now reality sets it and I will have to rely heavily on the left brainers that I love because SQUIRREL!  You get the idea.  I was up until 2 am the other day because I couldn't turn off my brain trying to think of a design name.  Now I have people asking me about PayPal accounts, shipping methods, inventory by count or weight, packaging, fairs/shows.  *head exploding*

It very well may require my entire village to help this idiot but I can do it!  I foresee many awkward moments  when it makes perfect sense to me and Bob is just shaking his head.

Wish me luck!  Better yet, order your own "precious"...

Note:  I only listed 1 rule?  See?!

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo Jessica!! Are you selling through esty? You should also think about a Pinerest account/page/board whatever they are called. Apparently all the cool kids are hanging out there and rumor has it they have money burning holes in their pockets.
    The pieces are great and I'm impressed you can escape the menfolk long enough to create them. Can't wait to see more.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete