Friday, April 17, 2015

Simone. The High Priestess of Soulful Food. Ohm...

 


Drake and his bestie, Simone, rode the bus home together to spend the afternoon at our house.  At first I was a little intimidated by her diet restrictions but I have never backed down from a culinary challenge.  It's actually nice to have a productive challenge as opposed to "how do I get my kid to eat that when I know he eats it at Simone's house...".  Drake is a very picky eater.  Nothing green, no veggies, nothing squishy (I fall into that group), no rice, no potatoes (except crispy smashed potatoes--OMG, YUM! or fries), no beans, yada, yada, yada...  If you are a parent, you know the list.  However, this little stinker will go to Simone's house and happily eat whatever they serve.  I have been covertly adding "Simone Foods" to our menu and it has been successful so far.  I have even stooped so low as to suggest, "Can't imagine why you won't try it, pretty sure Simone likes this.".   Shameless, I know.  Moving on!

Simone's diet is gluten free, soy free, and diary free and her Mom is a freakin' superhero!  I took some time to look through a stack of recipes that I have been wanting to make, but not up to hearing the complaints, and found some things that would work for Simone.  So tonight we had Grilled Garlic and Basil Pork Chops, Crispy Smashed Potatoes (<-- seriously addictive) and Steamed Broccoli.  For dessert I found a recipe for a No Bake Apple Crumble Bar.  This is where my day of enlightenment began.  

First, I still needed a few things for dinner and for the weekend so I headed over to the grocery store.  Apples.  I was headed for Honeycrisp but was distracted by Lady Alice.  I have NEVER heard of Lady Alice apples before today.  Lucky for me I read the price wrong and bought them before I realized my mistake (7 bones for 6 apples).  They are AMAZING!!!  Crisp, sweet with a bit of tartness and very juicy.  *drool*

Second, Coconut Flour.  If you have never had it before, don't avoid it.  It smells absolutely divine!

Third, Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread.  Okay, technically I didn't need this but it fit all the requirements and it is now my new favorite buttery spread.  Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow.  Dave's Killer Bread + Coconut Spread = No, Mommy is not going to share.

I have a pretty wide selection of what I would consider odd staples in my pantry.  I got to use many of them tonight and everything was super tasty.  Therefore, I love Simone!  Don't tell Drake, he will hog her all to himself.

For those that are curious and want to try the recipes from tonight, here you go!

Grilled Pork Chops with Garlic and Basil

Crispy Smashed Potatoes - NOTE:  Throw in some peeled garlic cloves while boiling potatoes and add them to the "smash".

Steamed Broccoli
....yeah, steamed broccoli...

No Bake Apple Crumble Bars

And yes, Drake ate it all and LOVED it all!  Even the green!  BAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment